WRITE FOR US
We are always looking for local, talented, and experienced freelance writers. We strive to provide fun and interesting local stories to the Eastside business community.
Below, you will find information on story pitches, requirements, and formatting. Please read the information thoroughly. It should answer most, if not all, of your questions. Additional questions, queries, and submissions should be sent to 425 Business editor.
425 Business at a glance
- Publishes monthly (12 times a year)
- Services the Greater Eastside, including the cities of Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah, and more.
- Readership: 89,000
- Content is focused on, and relevant to, Eastside business professionals and general consumers.
Available departments: 400-800 words
Feature articles: 800-2,500 words
- <In Code>: Tech column detailing the newest tech innovations created on the Eastside, from mobile apps to software, hardware, games, biotechnology, and more.
- Decompress: Examination of extracurricular activities, and geared toward helping readers uplug to lead active and stress-free lives.
- Disrupt: Startups are known for shaking up the playing field and disrupting the status quo. We aim to feature companies that have new approach to an old problem, bring something new to the table, and keep us on our toes.
- ASK: A question-and-answer with an area expert discussing various topics relevant to business.
We also accept story ideas for 425Business.com. Topics include News, Technology, Startup and Lifestyle.
Contracts are issued on an individual basis. We pay a flat fee, not by word. Payment is upon publication. Checks are generally sent out within the first week of the month of publication. All of the work we purchase is published once in print and could be used on our website, 425Business.com, or in other Premier Media Group publications.
We welcome queries and submissions, especially from local freelancers. These pitches should be emailed to email@example.com. Please consider the following before sending your pitch.
- Have a local story. We’re looking for stories and sources that reflect the topics we cover. Most of our content services Bellevue, Kirkland, Issaquah, and Redmond, but we will publish stories about subjects throughout the entire 425 area code.
- Be timely. Content for 425 Business magazine is determined months in advance. Story ideas should be pitched three to four months before the month it would run. This is particularly important for stories with seasonal angles.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. Please notify us if you are pitching to additional publications. 425 Business magazine purchases First North American Serial Rights (FNASR).
- We may not respond. 425 Business magazine editors receive a high volume of submissions and queries. We promise we are friendly, but please understand it is not always feasible to respond to each story idea. If you do not hear from us within a month of your submission, it is safe to assume that we have decided to pass.
We expect freelancers to utilize the principles of good journalism and excellent writing in 425 Business magazine articles. Here are some specific requirements we ask of our freelancers:
- Multiple and diverse sources. A minimum of two sources. A 1,000-word story should have no fewer than three sources; a 2,000-word story should have no fewer than four sources. Variety is the spice of life, but make sure they’re essential to your story. Do thorough reporting.
- Any story 1,000 words or more should have at least one sidebar. Sometimes it’s an info box referring readers to more information, such as an address, phone number and website from a local organization. Sometimes it’s a list of tips related to the story’s subject. Readers like having information broken up for them and they enjoy multiple points of entry into a story, so we value freelancers who are mindful of that.
- We largely subscribe to Associated Press style. Freelancers should follow AP style when writing their stories for us. We will make any slight adjustments in the few areas we deviate from AP style, if it is necessary.
- 425 Business style. For websites: no www (ex: 425business.com); for phone numbers: no dashes (-), use dots instead (ex: 425.646.1380); addresses: no state or zip code for Washington state addresses (ex: 227 Bellevue Way N.E. No. 600, Bellevue)
- Your finished story should be single-spaced with a hard return at each new paragraph.
- Do not indent for new paragraphs.
- Include only one space after punctuation marks.
- Include your byline.
- Font should be Arial, 12 point.
- Include a suggested headline and/or subtitle.
- We prefer stories to be sent as a Microsoft Word attachment. For those who don’t have Word, send the story within the body of an email.
- Include the name and phone number of sources at the end of story, in case we have follow-up questions.