The Wizards story is an epic tale of a tiny game company started in Peter Adkison’s basement in 1990 that grew to be a leader in the hobby gaming business and a part of the global Hasbro family. From those humble beginnings arose fantastic new worlds and stories that entertain and immerse communities of players into imaginative and fantastical new worlds. Wizards’ headquarters in Renton is a unique environment filled with play, imagination, and creative people who are passionate about creating amazing games.
Welcome to Wizards: A statue of Mitzy the Shivan dragon, from Magic: The Gathering, greets guests and employees as they enter the office. It’s the biggest statue in the building.
Play away: Employees can treat themselves to the many gaming collections at the office.
Wizardly characters: Wizards of the Coast’s headquarters is filled with various character statues and models from the company’s games.
Lobby sentinel: Magic: The Gathering character Dakkon Blackblade keeps a watchful eye over the open lobby.
Gameplay on the Clock: Gaming is taken very seriously by employees. The company throws product-release parties where hundreds of employees get together to try out the new game.
Staying fit: Employees exercise more than just their minds throughout the day. Wizards of the Coast offers gym access and subsidized fitness training for its employees.
Mythical meetings: Brad Singley, left, and Tom Jenkot meet in the Dragon’s Nest conference room. Meeting spaces at Wizards of the Coast feature artwork that reflects the rooms’ names. Conference-room monikers are voted on by employees and are inspired by the company’s games.
- Kids from the Big Brothers Big Sisters program come to the office to cast spells and go on adventures.
- The Mitzy statue had to be wheeled across the street from Wizards’ former office, and its wings had to be removed to fit in the freight elevator.
- Wizards employees enjoy subsidized child care and lunches as perks.
- When a new Magic: The Gathering set drops, 300-plus employees (some in costume) gather for an office-wide gaming session.
- More than 700 matches were played in the summer table tennis league.
- Architect: JPC Architects
- Builder: Foushee & Associates
- Office opened: 2005
- Square footage: 110,000
- Employees: 500+
- Website: wizards.com