Video game developer ArenaNet has seen many successes in its 14 years. Its Guild Wars 2, for example, is one of the best-selling PC games of all time. Meelad Sadat, the company’s head of global communications, says the uniqueness of the company’s office space contributes to its success.
“We use agile game development, meaning interdisciplinary teams of artists, designers, writers, and programmers work together in clusters and often move between teams,” Sadat says. “So the office layout is based on open environments and mobility. We have zero offices but plenty of conference rooms, and we have these pockets of couches nestled against fireplaces that can be an impromptu casual meeting area or a decompression area.”
Sadat says the company has a work hard, play hard culture. Results prove the company works hard. These photos also indicate that ArenaNet’s workers know how to play hard, too.
- Square feet: 62,000
- Employees: 300+
- Office created: 2011
- The company’s kitchen, naturally, is the staff’s favorite place to hang out. The kitchen resembles a convenience store, with snack bars and a fully stocked beverage fridge. The company also offers daily lunch delivery.
- Staff make good use of a rec area that’s stocked with video game consoles, board games, foosball, ping pong, and satellite TV.
- The staff sometimes sends signed T-shirts and collectors’ edition copies of games to passionate fans.
- On average, each worker drinks 1.5 cans of Coke Zero per week.
- Bellevue-based JPC Architects designed the space.