Premier Media Group, publisher of 425, 425 Business, South Sound, and South Sound Business magazines, has a rare opening for a full-time staff writer — with an emphasis on business writing — who sees beyond agendas and boring night meetings (we typically don’t do those) and can locate and develop stories that peer into the lives of those businesses, people, and professionals they work and live amongst. Our corporate office is based in Tacoma, Washington.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Write articles primarily for 425 Business and South Sound Business magazines, but also for South Sound and 425 magazines and their online products, as assigned by editors
- Edit/copy edit content/write headlines
- Develop unique story pitches
- Develop articles and help with coordinating revisions
- Must be capable of balancing multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Work with staff photographer and freelancers in coordinating shoots
- Other duties as assigned by editors in chief
- Help produce editorial content for all Premier Media Group products, both print and digital with a primary focus on the company’s business publications
- Occasional attendance at events and functions (rare evenings) as assigned by editors in chief
- Assistance in daily operations of the publication, including but not limited to story creation; planning; copy editing; miscellaneous writing assignments; and other duties relating to the creation of monthly magazines and daily online products.
Qualifications of the ideal candidate
- Minimum two years professional journalism experience
- Strong knowledge of AP style
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent ability to multitask
- Ability to develop original story ideas and build and foster relationships
- Strong personal character
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs
- Experience with InCopy a plus
- Familiarity with SEO a plus
Salary: DOE + benefits
Apply via LinkedIn.
We are now accepting applications for fall 2019 internships.
425 Business Magazine hosts editorial interns year-round, so come join our award-winning team. Our interns gain real-world experience in publishing, design, and journalism, and often work 10-25 hours per week with a flexible schedule for three months. Our office is headquartered in Old Town Tacoma within walking distance of several restaurants and the waterfront. A small stipend plus fun work perks are available as part of our internship program.
Applicants should have strong writing skills, intellectual curiosity, and possess the ability to tell stories. Successful candidates must understand the importance of deadlines, teamwork and independent thinking. Coursework in journalism, communications, marketing, or English are required. Experience with social media or photography are a bonus. This position is best fit for students at the junior or senior level, or recent college graduates. Duties include writing blog posts, feature and newswriting, research, copy editing, and fact checking. We do require interns to have access to a vehicle or reliable transportation for interview travel throughout our coverage area.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three examples of your published written work to Assistant Editor Shelby Rowe Moyer, email@example.com.
Premier Media Group is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and employment decisions based on merit. We comply with Federal, State, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment. The company desires to keep a work environment free of sexual harassment or discrimination based on race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital status, age, or any other status protected by Federal, State, or local laws.